Monday, March 30

The Mark of a Champion


I’m not going to lie to any of you I know almost nothing about lacrosse, but what I saw while I was at the 7ot thriller vs. Maryland this weekend was a true championship caliber team. Top-Ranked Virginia trailed Number 9 Maryland by 3 with 6 minutes left in the game, but rallied to send the game into overtime. In overtime Virginia was helped by a phantom time out in the first quarter that overruled a goal by Maryland which would have won the game in the first overtime. Virginia, according to the people sitting around me, was playing quite terribly. They got destroyed on faceoffs and ground balls which are two of the biggest parts of lacrosse and didn’t seem to be getting any breaks. Most people would argue that this game was terrible for UVA and was a bad sign for things to come, but I disagree.

                What I saw on the field was a championship team. A team that managed to overcome their deficiencies on their worst day and still pull out a victory is a team that is destined for greatness. The game showed me that the team knows when one aspect is lacking and can make up for it in other ways, and that they were not going to let this still perfect season slip away from them. Even as they trailed Maryland they continued to fight and claw their way back in until the game was tied again. Look for this team to continue its success in the future and perhaps bring a title back to Charlottesville.

                There are rumors going around that we’ll have an announcement about the basketball coach within this week, and that a coach has been selected. For an updated list of candidates and other news on the staff I encourage you to visit www.wkav.com and read the 5th quarter blog, which covers local sports. When a new coach is announced I’ll have complete coverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment