Wednesday, July 13

Nondescript Jersey Number for 2011

We all know that NCAA has strict rules on protecting the amateur status on student athletes and does everything they can to ensure that the students are not taken advantage of at all while playing at their respective colleges. And certainly makes sure they aren’t taken advantage of by having their likeness used in promotions for their school without receiving any extra benefits from the sale of those items. Thank god there is such a just and reasonable organization in charge of regulating such things.

That being said before the start of last season I purchased a newly redesigned generic number 19 orange UVA football jersey, not referencing anyone in particular, we just thought it looked good as a number. Since I recently purchased NCAA Football 2012 and am getting very hyped for the upcoming season it  got me thinking about which random number the athletic department will pick to be put on this year’s jersey. Let’s go through the candidates and I will give my predictions and likelihood of each happening.



FAVORITES:
#13 - Chase Minnifield:

                Back to Back stud CB’s on the jersey? I like that. Chase I think symbolizes the kind of spunk the team is going to need this season. Not the impressive physical specimen that Ras-I was Chase will more than make up for his lack of physical tools with his hustle and heart. Minnifield has become a fan favorite and is coming off a big time season last year with 6 picks which ranked 7th in the country.
Probability: 25%

#56 - Cam Johnson:

                Can I pause for one second and have a moment to appreciate that Johnson came into school as a safety? What a beast. Anyway I think Cam has a chance to have a big time season. Yes he’s coming off an injury and yes he will probably be the focal point of every offensive line’s protection plan but I still think he has the raw talent to be an absolute monster this season. Johnson is coming off a season that included 6.5 sacks and 14.5 TFLs. Johnson is a pure rush end with a nose for the QB who I love to see play.
Probability: 35%


#18 - Kris Burd:

                Should we change it up and go offense this year? Maybe. Burd was a beast last year. He led the team with 58 catches for 799 receiving yards, registered four 100-yard receiving games, and finished season at No. 16 all-time for UVa with 1,277 career receiving yards. Flat out he was a stud. If someone can get him the ball I expect big things from him again. He also has the big play ability that will get fans excited, right FSU?
Probability: 25%

#33 - Perry Jones:

                I love this kid. He is absolutely electric with the ball. He rushed for 646 yards last season but only scored 1 TD due to the emergence of the Payne Trane. Look for that to change this year. Jones averaged 4.7 yards per rush and should be another focal point of the offense. He is also only a junior. If he can emerge as an everydown back I think he would be a big seller.
Probability: 15%

DARKHORSES:
#53 - Steve Greer:

                A fan favorite. Hardnosed player who keeps winning the MLB job. Doubtful but I think this would be cool
Probability: 3%

#78 - Morgan Moses:

                For a school that produces NFL lineman like McDonalds produces cheeseburgers this would be cool. Moses is a giant human being with the potential to be the next Eugene Monroe, Branden Albert, or D’Brickashaw Ferguson.
Probability: 2%

#8 - Jimmy Howell

                I know there is no way this will ever happen but name me a player that has put up a more consistent performance over the last 4 years. I can wait. For a team that punts a lot he is an integral piece. That being said there is no chance this happens. But it would be AWESOME.
Probability: 0%

I think it’s going to be either Cam Johnson or Chase Minnifield. If I had to pick I would guess Cam just based on his ability to make a huge play. But it’s a tossup. If they go offense I think it will be Burd unless they decide to go cheap and pick Perry Jones who is a junior and will probably be the feature back for the next two seasons. But if I had my way it would absolutely be Jimmy Howell. True UVA fans would appreciate it and everyone else will think he’s a QB.

The point is FOOTBALL IS ALMOST BACK BABY! GO HOOS! 

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha, great list. I might also add to the "darhorse" category: LaRoy Reynolds' #9, Austin Pazstor's #63 (interior line, yeah!), and Colter Phillips' #89.

    Wow, we have a serious lack of star power on this year's roster. Doesn't mean we'll be a bad team, but there's not a slam-dunk jersey number in there.

    But yeah, it's going to be the #13 jersey, I can almost guarantee it.

    ReplyDelete